Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 6 (July 12)

Today, I got to go out to an event which was actually the premiere of this event, called Free Gas Frenzy. The station goes out to various locations and listeners come and choose six random numbers, which are then entered into a computer database which selects a random six numbers to see if it matches with the listeners, and there were various amounts of gas card prizes to win. There was also a separate drawing for even more gas cards! There were three other Promotions Assistants plus the morning radio personality, Jimmy, and myself there. The call time wasn't until 11:00 and we got there about an hour before it started, at 10:00 AM. The Promotions Assistants had previously tested the equipment on location to make sure it worked in previous days prior to the event, which is a big part of their tasks as a Promotions Assistant. Right when it started, I was in charge of taking pictures of the event. I was a little nervous because I had never taken pictures for an event before- other than with my friends! I had seen pictures on the website and in the Power Points that I had done for the station, and sort of went from those and took the type of photographs that I had observed. I took pictures of people in line, people at the table writing out their numbers, people going to the computer to see if their numbers matched, and of the workers from the radio station. At the end, I thought I did a pretty good job at that. About less than halfway in, (the event was 2 hours and ended at 1:00) I was in charge of doing what the Promotions Assistant was doing and checking ID's to make sure they were valid and 18+ and writing down the numbers that the listeners picked. The line needed to move extremely fast, but it wasn't TOO much of a challenge to keep everyone happy! Overall, I had a lot of fun at the event and got to observe how the station handles events and interacts with listeners, which was really cool!

No comments: